Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"You're Killing Me Smalls!"

Most people have a hard time deciding what their favorite movie is, but that is not the case for me. As a child, I enjoyed watching Benny, the Jet, Rodriguez, play baseball over and over. Just ask my Mama. Not a movie lover herself, but she knows all about this movie. Things have not changed much, as a 23 year old. The only difference is that I know now most of the lines and most people will find it annoying to watch the movie with me. I can not blame them. This movie is simply the best. Laughing the entire time and dreaming about finding a man just like Benny (just 10 years older, Timmay, maybe?). My siblings have grown to love and appreciate this movie as much as I do, so it is one the favorites for the Ochoa's and a favorite for a movie night with a slice of pepperoni/mushroom pizza for Erik and I and a slice of pepperoni/sausage for Cynthia and Edwin. Perfect night, perfect date. Erik's current status on facebook is "Man watching The Sandlot never gets old!" I agree with him 110%!

My favorite scenes have to the following:

The Pool Scene:
"I swam here every summer of my adult life. Every summer there she is lotioning, oiling, oiling, lotioning, smiling, SMILING, I CAN'T TAKE THIS NO MORE!" 

Fourth of July:


I just had to add Ray himself!  Because frankly just by listening to the song, you can remember the actual scene!

Encounter with the Arch Rival Team, Tigers:

"You play ball like a girrrrrl!" 

The other scenes would have to include Small's cover up using "The Great Bambi" as his excuse to not knowing a thing about "The Great Bambino"and Ham's frustration with Smalls at the camp out. Classic. 

As you may already know, Benjamin is my favorite character! The second character would have to be the ballsy, Michael "Squints" Palledorous. Everything that came out of this mouth was simply hilarious and his skinny boy was the epitome of a savage. At the end he got what he mostly wanted in the world, Wendy Peffercorn. 

The movie did end in a sour note for a Giants fan. Stealing home and you are playing against my favorite team? Come on Benny! But even with that said, it does not change my choice for my favorite movie. The Sandlot released in 1993 is my favorite movie of all time. It has so many positive messages that anyone can simply enjoy this classic movie: 

- Try something new, be brave (Smalls did)! 
- Follow your dreams (Benny did)!
- Never play with a baseball signed by "The Babe" 

And lastly, baseball is the greatest sport of all time! ;) 

"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die, follow you heart kid and you'll never go wrong." - "The Babe" 

Did you know?

Mr. Mertle shows the boys a photo of himself with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. Of course it is a retouched photo. Jones' head was put on the body of Hall Of Fame slugger Jimmie Foxx who was the real player pictured with Ruth and Gehrig. The real photo can be seen in many baseball books. 
- www.imdb.com 

Now go watch the movie! 

<3, 
brenda  


1 comment:

  1. Great post! makes me want to watch the movie, even though I don't love it as much as you do..

    ReplyDelete